Yes, you may take a semester off, with no justification necessary. Please note the following important conditions, however:
- International students may have to enroll every semester, including summer, in order to retain their visa status and/or funding.
- Students cannot skip a semester (except summer) between the two consecutive semesters (9 credit hours each) they need to fulfill the residence requirement.
- Students who do not enroll for one calendar year will have their status automatically changed to inactive by UNT. They will have to apply for readmission to the Graduate School and the PhD program.
- Students who have not completed doctoral coursework within six years should not suspend their studies unless the need is extreme. Note that taking time off does not stop the 10-year clock for completing the program, and that completing the dissertation may require more than one year.
- Students who have passed qualifying must maintain continuous enrollment in dissertation hours each fall and spring semester until they successfully defend their dissertations.
Please notify the PhD Office if you intend not to enroll for a fall or spring semester.